Modifying and assembling pathway lights

The pathway lights are my favorite element, but have also been the most difficult. They started out as the standard solar pathway lights sold by Costco in 2016.

Original light for reference
The cap contains a solar panel, battery, and downward pointing white LED. My conversion needs to be hardwired, so the entire light needs to be modified.


Current parts for pathway lights
I also enlarged the bottom hole in the glass to accomidate the larger LEDs, and created a new mount using PVC and ABS, and secured it with epoxy. 


Since the solar LED is no longer being used, and the new LED's point upwards (not as much light on the ground), I covered the bottom of the cap with reflective tape. I also added a foam ring to keep all the parts together snugly.

The first version of these used standard 12mm pixels, but they were not as bright as I wanted, so I ordered some larger modules with 3 LEDs a piece (https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-100PCS-WS2811-3LED-5050-RGB-26MM-Foggy-Clear-Milky-String-Module-Waterproof-/401519165197). They still act like regualr pixels.

I also ordered some small 4 pin pigtails (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Pairs-4-Pin-20cm-Connectors-Socket-Plug-0-2mm-24AWG-LED-Cable-Wire-LED-Strips/32790775881.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.48bd4c4d6xYetk). They have to be much smaller that the usual ones since they just barely fit through the hole in the bottom of the metal cage. 


The LED module is secured to the glass with hot glue, and everything is assembled into a single module. I like the modular design since it makes troubleshooting and replacing parts much easier. 













Comments

Popular Posts